Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Guest Post - Louise Edu; Flax Seed Reese's Granola Bars

Hey folks, I'm on a relaxing Hawaiian vacation with my family this week, so I've asked some beautiful, talented and inspiring ladies to guest post for me while I'm away. 

Louise was one of the first ladies I connected with through the Be Happy Link Up. She's a former designer, now full time mom, blogger, and all around Super Woman. She is a DIY queen and her posts are always insightful and inspiring. I am proud to call her my (blogger) friend. 

Hey Baking Yogi peeps!!  What do you do when yer "blog" sitting and yer friend Alyssa is out of town?? You hold down the fort and bake of course!!







My girls lurrrvve their granola bars!  But I hate the store bought ones!  (Sorry Quaker guy, but your bars have way too much sugar, in addition to some crazy modified junk!)

I always try to feed my kiddos yummy, healthy snacks…but it's always so difficult!  There's not enough time in the world to make errrthang from scratch and the girls are always picky!!  But they absolutely love these semi-healthy flax seed reese's granola bars and they don't take too long to make!!  Plus, I get to sneak in some fiber, lignans + omega-3 fats (yep, that's whats in flax seeds y'all!!) into their lil' bodies and they don't even know it! hehehe

Here's what you're gonna need:

2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 cup unbleached flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup dark choc chips (or more if yer a chocoholic)
3/4 cup natural raw whole flax seeds
1/2 cup organic honey
1 large brown egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp organic + no salt peanut butter



Step 1:  Grab a large mixing bowl and throw all the ingredients in and mix, using clean hands.  I like to measure out the dry stuff first then add the wet ingredients next.

Step 2:  Grease your baking pan w/ a lil' vegetable oil and spread the granola mix evenly.  Using your hands push down on the granola so that everything is nice and compact, and that there's an even thickness all around.  If you don't do this, your granola bars will fall apart =(

Step 3:   Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Step 4:   Bake for 30 minutes, or whenever the edges are golden brown.

Step 5:  Let cool for 5 minutes then gently cut bars with a clean knife after it's been cooled.  But don't wait too long, or they might be too hard for you to cut through.  Also, I've found that cutting the bars into squares and not rectangles, help keep their shape.  When you've finished cutting the bars, let them cool for an additional 5 minutes then once they've cooled completely, they'll be easier to lift out of the pan.

When all is said and done, enjoy w/ a cold glass of milk, or package em nice + neat for a lunchbox treat!!



If you enjoyed this post, see more of my awesomeness at my blog: Laid Off Mom (http://laidoffmom.com)…where I'm conjuring up inspiration and DIY's on the daily!  See you soon!


Louise is a 30 something mama who writes and creates at her blog - Laid Off Mom (http://laidoffmom.com) where she is constantly offering up optimism and inspiration daily.  Follow her and read about the unfortunate incident in her design career that has led her to live a happier, more creative life with her family

No comments:

Post a Comment