Sunday, January 31, 2016

Kitchen Adventures; Zucchini Banana Toddler Muffins


Hi there, blog! It's been a long time. My last post was after little dude turned 8 months (5 months ago), and since my last baking related post its been even longer still.

But y'all - I baked! I baked something new and it came out great and I'm excited to share it with you. 

I've been looking for easy on-the-go snacks for my (now) toddler because I get a little mad at myself every time I pick up a box of whatever shelf-stable baby-food-section snack looks less awful than the others. I needed to start making his snacks myself!

We had a banana that was about to turn, and I was pretty sure we had some zucchini, but if not, I was prepared with a couple of yellow squash I picked up at Trader Joe's the day before. I turned to the internet for some inspiration, and while my little man slept (FOR TWO HOURS!?), I baked. 

These are not the most nutrient packed toddler snacks out there, but these are the first toddler muffins I've made. Rest assured, future recipes will have quinoa and oats and spinach and any and all ridiculously healthy nutritious foods you want to cram into the belly of your toddler.

I will add though, that the texture of these is PERFECT. I still have to break them into smaller pieces for my seven-toothed 13 month old (who liked to cram as much into his mouth as he possibly can and figure out chewing later), but they've got a really nice chewiness that keeps them held together really well and the crumbs from falling everywhere.

Zucchini Banana Toddler Muffins (makes 24 mini muffins or 12 standard muffins)
2 cups whole-wheat flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup milk (I used whole, but you can sub in any kind of milk you like)
1/4 cup pure honey or pure maple syrup
1 banana, mashed
1/2 cup finely grated zucchini

Preheat oven to 375, grease muffin tin and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
In a medium bowl, combine wet ingredients.
Slowly stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Once thoroughly combined, scoop into muffin pans, careful not to overflow. These muffins will rise quite a bit.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops start to brown a little.

Feed to yourself and/or your little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment