Thursday, October 31, 2013

Kitchen Adventures; Mulled Apple Cider



Getting into the holiday spirit, this past weekend we had some friends over for wine and pumpkin carving.

I got a little bit excited about the fall. Last time we went to Costco I bought the giant pack of apples SPECIFICALLY to use for cider.

Not to mention I was dying to dip into the mulling spices I picked up at Penzey's the weekend before. They're not paying me. I just have a huge crush on this place.


So, on Saturday afternoon, I ran all the apples I had left through the juicer and ended up with about 6 cups of juice. Not a ton, but enough for everyone to at least try a little.


With about a half hour to go before people were supposed to arrive, I dumped the juice into a pot, added my spices, brought the cider to a boil, and then down to a simmer for 20 minutes.

It. was. amazing. I wish I could drink fresh hot mulled apple cider all day every day.



Making it is so stinking easy too!

6 cups apple juice (fresh from apples or a bottle - your call)
3 tbsp. mulling spices
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

In a large pot combine everything over medium heat. Whisk to get it all evenly distributed and bring to a boil. Then turn heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Run cider through a fine mesh sieve and serve hot.

Option to add 1 oz. spiced rum per 8 oz. glass of cider.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment