Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Mini Rant; Why Emoticons Are Good


I recently read a blog by someone who said they don't believe in emoticons. Something about the English language having enough illustrative capacity. Blah blah blah. At first I thought she was kind of right, but can I just say really quickly that after thinking about this a little bit, I've decided that this is bunk. As a student of communication I know how important non-verbals are. If you can't here the tone in my voice or see my expression or posture, how will you know my full meaning? I have therefore decided to continue the use of emoticons because that little winky face will help you to better understand me. If I wouldn't say to your face, "This is meant in a joking manner", then I sure as sh*t am not going to type it out for you. Figure it out with my emoticons, dammit.

Have a nice day.

:D

No comments:

Post a Comment