Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Kitchen Adventures; Baked Apple Oatmeal for One

I eat breakfast alone weekday mornings. Ever since last Fall, when I started getting up earlier for my leisurely mornings, I've been making myself a small, simple breakfast, coffee or tea, and taking a few moments for myself. Tim gets up and leaves much earlier than I do in the morning, but even if he were home, he would opt to sleep over having breakfast. That's his peaceful time.

Lately, I've been making a lot of oatmeal for myself, and even more recently, I started topping it with fresh fruit - banana, strawberries, blackberries. Well, this particular morning, I was fresh out of those. I had some apples, but I wasn't feeling the cold crunchiness of the apple with oatmeal.

So, instead of waiting until the very last to make my breakfast, I went downstairs after brushing my teeth and started my oatmeal early so I could bake it and finish getting ready while it was in the oven.


I also had a couple of things lying around that made this easier and more delicious.

One - this awesome mini cocotte from le crueset my grandma got me for Christmas last year.
and Two, cake spice. from our adventures at Penzey's in San Diego. You can totally make cake spice yourself with nutmeg, cinnamon, anise, ginger, and clove, but if you don't have those premixed and waiting for you, cake spice is a great alternative.


The only thing more difficult about making baked apple oatmeal than microwave oatmeal is that someone has to chop the apples... and that someone is me... because I was making this for myself.

I also opted to mix the sugar and spices in before I baked it.

I thought about mixing the apples in there too, but ultimately decided just to throw them on top.


Baked Apple Oatmeal for One

1/3 c. rolled oats
1/4 tsp. cake spice
1 tsp. brown sugar
1/3 c water (or enough to completely cover the oats)
1/4 of one medium apple - I used Gala. You can also use more apple if you want to mix it in AND top it.
1 tbsp. maple syrup

Preheat oven to 400 F.

In a single serve baking dish, combine oats, sugar, and cake spice. Add water - enough to completely cover the oats. Top with your apples (or mix some in if you're feeling adventurous)

Cover and bake for 15 minutes, uncover and bake for another 5 minutes.

Top with maple syrup and enjoy!

Added bonus? This sweet, filling breakfast runs about 200 calories. Healthy and delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment