Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Testing Out This Gluten Free Thing (and Muffins!)

Hubs and I are skeptics of this whole everyone is allergic to gluten phenomenon.

One of my amazing professors in grad school had/has Celiac Disease - legit, full on gluten allergy. He was sick for years. They thought he might have cancer. They cut gluten out of his diet and he was magically well. Amazing. LEGIT. I was/am happy for him that he is now a healthy person after purging gluten from his diet.

So, I know that this gluten allergy is real. I know that some people really suffer. I am not one of them. Apparently, I love gluten.

BUT I've heard a lot about cutting it out and how less/no gluten can make you feel better about life - like a healthier, more energetic person with a peaceful stomach.

So, we thought, "what could it hurt?" and I started doing research into what EXACTLY contains gluten.

My base knowledge of gluten consisted of this:
Flour contains gluten and you can add additional gluten to breads and things to give them more crunch and rise. 
So then, how can hubs and I continue to eat what we like without giving up baked goods. The answer is flour substitutes. I walked into our local Sprouts, which is my absolute favorite place to grocery shop, and was stunned by the variety of gluten free alternative flours they had - oat flour, almond flour, rice flour, brown rice flour.


And after a little more research, I learned that in order to get an adequate substitute for AP flour, you need to do some mixing. I watched this video from Gluten Free Girl, which was IMMENSELY helpful, and though I haven't yet had time to mix my own flour - in truth its also because I haven't seen millet or sorghum flour at any of my usual haunts - I have managed to do a little experimenting with gluten free baking.

I made muffins!





Blueberry oat muffins, if you want to get picky about it... AND THE'RE GOOD!

I was nervous about these guys. I didn't have any tapioca or any other starch flour, so I couldn't just sub it in for AP.

Also, I'd never used oat flour before, so I didn't really know what I was getting into in terms of flavor or consistency. It's a little "mealy" (best way I can think to describe it, but that sounds gross and it's not gross, so I need to think of another word) and DUDE, it tastes like oatmeal - which I love, but I know some people don't - so, ya know, something to bear in mind.



So, if you're looking for an easy gluten free muffin recipe (and you have a thousand blueberries around), you're in luck! I happen to have just the thing for you!

RECIPE!

Preheat your oven to 425. I know. It's hot.

2 c. oat flour
2/3 c. buttermilk
2 tsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. melted butter
2 eggs
1 c. blueberries

Combine oat flour and buttermilk in a bowl. Mix it in a little and let it sit around for a few minutes. Don't have buttermilk? Add 1 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup of milk. Magic.

Then mix in baking powder, eggs, butter, honey. When its all a nice even consistency, fold in your blueberries.

When they're all perfectly mixed in, dollop those babies into your muffin pan. You can grease it or use papers or BOTH! I only had nine cupcake liners, so I did both. :)


Then bake for 16 minutes at 425.

And tadaaaaa! Gluten Free muffins! BOOM!




No comments:

Post a Comment