Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Inversions Make You Hot; Instagram Photo Challenge



The instagram yogasphere is dominated by a handful of incredibly talented and motivational yogis. As is common on IG, these ladies and gents fill our feeds with monthly photo challenges.

In February, Laura, Kino, and Kerri hosted the #inversionsmakeyouhot challenge - 28 days of inversions and arm balances. Since I've been dedicated a good bit of time to improving my own inversions and arm balances, I thought it would be a great opportunity for me to challenge myself and work on these poses. 

If you follow me on instagram, you've probably seen all or most of these already, but I thought I'd take a minute and do a fun little recap of my month trying new and interesting arm balances, inversions and variations. 

The poses were all prompted the night before we were supposed to do the poses. I didn't have any real "oh hell no" moments until day 11, when Kino picked Urdhva Padmasana, which is not in my regular practice. I've done it a few times when I've taken Ashtanga, but the first time, I injured my neck and all subsequent times it's been really hard.  
I also had a much tougher time with Tittibasana than I thought I would. I tried it several times throughout the day and struggled a lot with it. 

Some of these I didn't even know were poses - like embryo pose (top row center below) and the variation on headstand in the bottom left hand corner above.

Also, I learned that chinstands are NOT my jam. Like whoa. 

I am getting better at inversions every day. Over the course of the month, I was able to get my legs into full lotus while in headstand. It was a pretty big deal since last time I'd tried I couldn't get my left foot in front. 

I also got a nasty (but thankfully, short) cold last weekend. It made days 23 and 24 extra hard. So much so that those poses were the extent of my exercise those days. 


I am so happy I participated in this challenge. I have gotten so much stronger, just by experimenting and trying new poses. 

A friend of mine told me that she misses seeing my fun yoga photos in her feed every day, so I'm feeling a little inspired to jump into another one. 

What do you think? Have you done a photo challenge? What about a yoga challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment