Monday, May 26, 2014

Kitchen Adventures; Belgian Waffles with Swedish Pearl Sugar



Happy Memorial Day!

I've had a hankering for waffles for (what feels like) ages! I feel like I've wanted to make them every weekend, but we haven't been able to work it out with our schedules.

It feels like that's just the way things are working out lately. I have to wait to make make all these fun dishes until the weekend.


I've made a ton of different waffle recipes in my life. In fact, I think every time I've made waffles, I've used a different recipe.


No more. I will be using this one from here on out. This waffle batter tastes like cake batter... which means these waffles taste like cake. Waffles are already dessert for breakfast. Now you're having cake in waffle form for breakfast.
Win. win.






You may want to use a bigger bowl than I did.



My handmixer is currently my favorite kitchen appliance. So much easier than getting out the big heavy kitchenaid

But wait, have a look at this...



No, look closer...

This, my friends, is Swedish Pearl sugar. I added it ON TOP of the sugar called for in the original recipe. It adds a beautiful subtle warmth and little pockets of sweetness when you bit into the waffle.
If you have an Ikea near you, they sell it there - if not - you have the internet, don't you? :)




While your waffle iron works - I filled our Cuisinart waffle maker 3 times for a total of about 11 1/2 waffle squares - cut and wash some berries and get your powdered sugar and maple syrup ready.



You can totally top with more butter, but in the interest of honesty, I will tell you I didn't do this because *gasp* we ran out of butter.
These waffles don't need it though. They don't even really need syrup.

I broke one off and carried it around like a pop tart.

Then maybe you carry your plate outside and have a beautiful breakfast on the patio with your honey. Maybe that's just me.





Belgian Waffles

Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman

2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
4 egg whites

Preheat your waffle iron. We like ours a little crunchy, so I cranked it up to medium/high.

You'll need 3 bowls (or two if you're like me) - one for your sifted dry ingredients, one for your wet, and one to beat the egg whites.

No comments:

Post a Comment