Monday, January 7, 2013

30 x 30; Headstand

This morning, I did a headstand. 

Sunday in teacher training, we did inversions - headstand, handstand, forearm handstand, scorpion. As you may know, one of my 30 by 30 goals has been to get into a headstand away from the wall without a spotter. It's been slow, hard work, but yesterday I did it!

I was up next to the the wall, but I tried my very hardest not to use it to stabilize myself. The first try, my tush touched the wall. On the second, my feet, but on the third try, I made it all the way up without touching the wall at all. Linda came over to help me get my legs in the right position so that staying up would be easier. So I focused and I stayed and it was AMAZING. 

Later that night, I put a mat out in the middle of the kitchen - it was the only room with enough floor space during our post holiday clean-out - and I did it again! This time without the wall and without a spotter (in my pajamas, but whatevs). 


I feel like I've been trying to get into headstand FOREVER, and a part of me thought it would take a lot longer - until last Friday, when Tracee told us not to do tripods at the wall because the wall is a crutch. I think that's when it clicked. I knew the wall was there, so I wasn't engaging and I wasn't focusing because there was always something to fall back on. Take that away, and you only have yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment