Thursday, January 10, 2013

Week One HAH Update



The acronym for Happy at Home is HAH. I think that's wonderful. It makes me giggle a little bit.

So much has happened this week, and so much of it has had to do with my Happy at Home project from Apartment Therapy.

1. Make your bed. I did this for the first time today! Since last week, I've been throwing the blankets back into place, but this morning I took the time to go around the bed and tuck everything in. Just doing it made me feel happier - like I'd accomplished something new. It's silly, I know, but so far, it's working. I'll take it.

2. Bring every room back to "ready." I really should have shared some kind of photo of the disastrous state of our living room post Christmas - gift wrap, boxes, dog toys, stuffing, socks, empty yogurt containers (we let the dog clean them out after we finish), tubs upon tubs of the stuff from Tim's parents we needed to go through. I'd tried sorting through most of it, but it was still blocking most of the walkway around and behind the couch. This room had not been "ready" in over a month. So, Monday I stayed home from work and a focused all my energy on this room. I put on some of my DVR'd favorites, made sure everything that needed to be in a box was in a box, everything that needed to be in the trash was in the trash, took down the Christmas tree, pressed start on the Roomba (oh, how I heart you, Roomba), and restored this room to its former glory. I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!!!! HOLY MOLY! It's more than a huge weight has been lifted - it's like I can see my home again. I can snuggle up on the couch and not be thinking about this random pile of picture frames I always seem to accidentally hit my shin on - they've now been donated, btw. On a more serious note, I forgot that we ever had a clean living room. I started to have weird panic attacks. It was bad. All of that is gone now, and I feel so much better having resolved to myself to never let the room get to that state ever EVER again.

3. Display sentimental items around your home. Back to photos and a few random items. Much better.

4. Start a one-line-a-day gratitude journal. I haven't done this at all. Shocking and confusing.

5. If you can't get out of it, get into it. This has been a total lifesaver in the kitchen. I have a tendency to put some major cranky pants on when I clean the kitchen - especially if I'm cleaning a mess that's not mine - but I have not angrily done the dishes once since starting this. Already such an improvement.

6. Before you get up each morning, set an intent for the day. I've been setting super simple intentions each day - things like "smile more", "be happy", "be open and accepting". I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but it helps to just remind myself of my intention a little bit throughout each day. You may have noticed, I've been to yoga A LOT. Sometimes I don't set my intention until I get there, but the fact remains that I am doing it.

7. Do small favors for your housemates, expecting nothing in return. (not even a thank you) No mental notes made of small favors. :/

8. Call at least one friend or family member a day. Not succeeding here, BUT I was listening to the Simplemom podcast yesterday and I was so relieved to learn that The Nester, Myquillyn, is also super duper not a phone person. I'm not alone!!! Chatting on the phone requires a lot of energy that I just don't have. Bah.

9. Spend money on things that cultivate experiences at home.  WE GOT A NEW DRESSER!!! To be more specific, I got a new-to-me dresser. Tim and I have been sharing 6 drawers since we first moved in together in October 2009. For the first year, we had our own closets, so 3 drawers each was plenty, but after we bought our current place and started sharing one slightly larger closet, it became apparent that 6 drawers just wouldn't be enough. Last Saturday, we drove out to my grandparents storage and picked up the dresser from my parents' old bedroom set. My mom said we could have the whole set if we want it, but for now (since we still have plans to redo the master bedroom) we're just taking dresser. It's a whole new world of clothing storage! Seriously, its amazing. I was talking about getting a hat rack because all my hats were getting smashed in the closet. Now half of the stuff that was in the closet is in one of my own personal 6 drawers, and my hats have their own shelf.

10. Spend a few minutes each day connecting with something greater than yourself. I've been terrible about this. I just need 5 minutes a day, but it's been a struggle to find and then remember.

So, that's it - my happy at home week-cap. I had a lot more to say than I originally thought. Whoops. ;)


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment