Thursday, February 14, 2013

Be Present

Happy Valentine's Day, y'all!

First couple picture of A & T

Today I am taking a yogic principle and applying it to relationships. This weekend at the Satsong I attended, we spent a little bit of time talking about Ganesh, the remover of obstacles. I took some extra time to myself to ponder what about Ganesh enables him to remove obstacles. For anyone unfamiliar, Ganesh is a man with an elephant's head. He has a wikipedia page, where you can learn more about him and his story.
According to lore, they mean very literally that elephants clear the obstacles by smashing the ground with their giant trampling feet.

While this interpretation of the elephant symbolism is fine - not my favorite, but fine - I have chosen a different path for interpreting Ganesha's elephant features to remove my own obstacles (especially since Ganesha doesn't have elephant feet. Flawed argumentation.)

Back on track...

How can I embrace the traits of Ganesh to remove obstacles in my life? I can listen with my giant elephant ears, and I can be present in my giant elephant mind.  What do I mean "be present"? I mean, think about right now. I mean, don't let your mind wander. Don't think about yesterday or tomorrow. Be in the moment. Only here, only now.

I took it one step further and applied it to life and love and relationships.

I can remove obstacles in my relationships by being present and mindful - by listening, removing judgement, and understanding. 

That's my be happy Valentine's day message for you. Be Present. Love.

AAAAAAND, totally separate side note since it's love day and there's so much be happy love in the air this morning, I just wanted to throw a big thank you out into the universe to the be happy crew. You are all so amazing and inspire me every week! Happy Valentine's Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment