Monday, February 25, 2013

Kitchen Adventures; Big Beautiful Blueberry Muffins

We were at Sprouts last week and I saw this giant box of blueberries and I knew I had to have it. I don't even really like eating blueberries right out of the box, so when I bought them, I was basically just making an excuse for myself to bake.

Ergo, I win at life.






A moment re: my frustration - apparently plain blueberry muffins are no longer a thing. Everybody's adding poppy seeds (which I love) and lemon (which I also love) and goat cheese (oh, wait, I love all these things), but in all honesty, I did not have any of these exciting things in my house, AND I wasn't really in the mood for them. I wanted some good old fashioned blueberry muffins.



So, I got all my ingredients out:



Whisked...



Combined...



and folded...





and then I baked...



 at 375 for 30 minutes...



and then I totally blew your mind. Ok, maybe I didn't - but you should understand how much self control it took to not eat all 13 (yes, 13) muffins this recipe yielded. They are light and fluffy and sweet and tangy and I wish I could carry them around with me in a basket all day at eat them at will.



Recipe Adapted from America's Test Kitchen - These guys are geniuses, but sometimes, you don't have everything they ask you to have, so you have to change some stuff - like switching 1 1/2 cups of yogurt to half sour cream because you've run out of yogurt... and that's okay.

3 c. flour
1 c sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 c. lowfat yogurt
3/4 c light sour cream
2 eggs
pinch of salt
1 stick  (8 tbsp) melted butter, cooled
2 c. blueberries, tossed in 1tbsp of flour to coat

Preheat oven to 375 F and grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together.
In a smaller/medium bowl, whisk together yogurt/sour cream and eggs. Fold yogurt mixture into dry ingredients until just combined. Then fold in your melted butter until its all mixed in even and pretty,
and finally, fold in the blueberries - gently and evenly. Scoop into your muffin pan with a 1/3rd cup  and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

This week, I'm linking up with the ladies who created Now Bake This! See what they've been baking lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment