Thursday, June 20, 2013

Happy at Home?



Lately, I've been using Thursdays to tell you about one or another specific thing that I have to be happy about, but when the year started, I was pretty gung ho about making my home a source of happiness, or - at the very least - not being a place that stressed me out. 

I have to say, I really feel like I am making excellent progress. So, for the sake of getting everyone up to speed, and it being Thursday - the happiest day of the week - here's where I am in my happy at home project...

1. Make your bed. I don't do this. I just pull the sheets and blankets up when I leave in the morning and I've been washing the duvet cover more often, so I don't get dog hair all up in my nose  as much as I used to when I'm trying to sleep. This has been working nicely. 

2. Bring every room back to "ready." This is getting SO much easier, but in the interest of full transparency, I have to tell you that we hired someone to come in once a month and clean our house. It's only once a month, so there is still tons of upkeep to manage in between, but it gives me a goal. I can see what the rooms should look like under the piles, so I know what I'm aiming for when I start to clean, and usually, that leads to me finishing the job. I finally got ALL the piles up off the bedroom floor. I got rid of maybe 20 pairs of shoes that were scattered around the house. Also, now that we have more space and light in the garage, I dislike going down there to run the wash less. 

3. Display sentimental items around your home. Last night I picked up my wedding album and flipped through it. Never fails to make me all smiles. 

4. Start a one-line-a-day gratitude journal. I did this. It went really well for a while and then I just started to forget to do it. I still pick it up every now and then and write a line or two, but I'm not writing every day. It suits me just fine. 

5. If you can't get out of it, get into it. I meant to post a picture of this, but decided I'd better not; I have full on dance parties while I clean the kitchen... no joke. I work up a sweat. It's a blast. If that's not getting into it, I don't know what is. 

6. Before you get up each morning, set an intent for the day. I've simplified this. At some point each morning, I just tell myself to smile and to be.

7. Do small favors for your housemates, expecting nothing in return. (not even a thank you) For this one, I am referring back to to #5.

8. Call at least one friend or family member a day. I text. :P Not a phone person. 

9. Spend money on things that cultivate experiences at home.  We got a table for the entry! It has two little drawers we use mostly for dog things - like spare leashes and poo bags - and, well, we just redid the garage, which helps move things out of the house and create more usable space, which TOTALLY cultivates our experiences at home. We also recently paid someone to help up with something else around the house too - a one time thing. Separate post coming on that.

10. Spend a few minutes each day connecting with something greater than yourself. I'd like to think that I do this subconsciously. Every day that I do yoga, I'm meditating and connecting, but part of me likes to think that this is second nature somehow. Like no matter the day or what I'm thinking about or doing, I am seeing love in everything and everyone. Does that mean I love them? NO no, certainly not. I can think of a few "things" that make me think "WTF, mate?", BUT generally... generally, the love is there. Really. 

Remember this is a linkup! Make sure to follow along with these other beautiful ladies on their happiness journeys...



No comments:

Post a Comment