Tuesday, March 18, 2014

That Time I Taught at Lululemon

A little while back I got a phone call from one of the girls at the studio where I teach. Lululemon was adding Monday night classes to their usual complimentary yoga schedule for the month of March, and would I be available and interested in teaching one...

Heck yes!

Since March is such a big month for races 'round these parts, every Monday night for the month of March (you still have a couple of chances to get out there if you're local), lululemon at the Calabasas Commons is hosting special runner-themed yoga classes in their store. They partnered up with Inner Power Yoga and some of the most incredible up-and-coming teachers from the studio are filling the space for the month.


I was honored to be included with such an impressive lineup... though after seeing the names everyone else came up with for their classes, I wish that I'd titled mine something more like, "IT Band Magic Time"


I spent the week leading up to my class, advertising the heck out of it - mostly on facebook with events, and a little instagramming. I told my classes. I sent out mass emails.
And it paid off! In the crowd of new and beautiful smiling yogi-faces, were 6 that I knew and loved - pictured above (one up there is actually a new face. Nicole is replacing Nikki, who taught the class the week before I did, but she ran out before I had a chance to snag this photo)


I brought some blocks and straps and had fun walking around convincing people that they would improve their practice if they used one or both. People can be stubborn. ;)
It was only an hour class, which I know is an eternity to some people, but as a yoga teacher its never enough time. There was so much more I wanted to fit in, and before I knew it, it was 8:25 and I needed to get them into savasana.


The class was complimentary, so lululemon doesn't pay the instructors they have come in to lead class. They did, however, offer each of us a tank as a token of their gratitude, which was pretty darn cool. Lululemon is usually a little out of my comfort zone as far as their prices go, so I was pumped to teach for a tank... especially since I would have gleefully taught anyway. I'm wearing my snazzy new lulu tank in the photo above.

More importantly, it was so cool to be able to take over a storefront and lead such an inspiring bunch.

Maybe I'll get to do it again some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment