Monday, October 15, 2012

Kitchen Adventures; Pecan Apple Spice Bread



This is one of those wonderful and rare occasions when baking and yoga combine.

Saturday morning I got up early for aromatherapy yoga. I'd never done it before. Time to try something new.

It was a little bit magical - not overwhelmingly so, just a little bit.

Our instructor was inspired by the change of weather we've had this week, so she decided to work in some really beautiful fall fragrances into our yoga - cinnamon, anise, chamomile, and rosemary.

The moment she put the cinnamon down on my mat, I knew I needed to bake something when I got home. I knew it had to be with cinnamon. And I knew I had a ton of apples that weren't getting eaten.

After searching the web and some of my favorite go-to cookbooks for an awesome apple spice bread recipe, I came up empty handed.

I found a few on the web, but I they weren't exactly what I was looking for, so I improvised. I made my own.

WHAAAAT?!?

Yep, I made up a recipe. I feel like the king of the world.


It went a little something like this...

Cut and shred apples


This day I felt like getting everyone together for a photo.


Softened butter and sugar get mixed together.


Eggs.


Then flour...


A little milk to soften it up.


Spices! Just cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.

I only had whole cloves, so I had to use my little coffee grinder to grind some up. Worked pretty well.


Chopped pecans! oh, also, you can see the shredded apple I mixed in there. :)


Apple chunks!


Put in a loaf pan!


Bake!



Sorry about all the exclamation points. Here's another one...

RECIPE!

2 c. AP flour
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon (plus additional 1/4 tsp for topping)
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground clove
2 Tbsp. milk
2 c. apples (1 c. shredded, 1 c. cut into chunks)
1/8 c. brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan. Set aside.

Mix together softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Whisk in the eggs, one at a time. Switch to a spoon. (It's easier) Then add the rest of the ingredients one at a time, flour, milk, baking soda, shredded apples, spices, pecans, apple chunks.

Scoop batter into your greased loaf pan

In a small bowl, mix your extra 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon into the brown sugar.

Sprinkle your cinnamon brown sugar mixture over the top of the loaf and bake at 350 F for one hour.

Remove from the oven and set on a cooling rack. You can remove it from the pan after about a half hour, but I suggest letting it cool completely before you slice it up.

Also, it really sets beautifully overnight, so its even better the next day.

This was my breakfast this morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment