Friday, October 12, 2012

Rosemary Sourdough. It Happened.



This post will be mostly about pictures because if you saw this, then you know I've been making sourdough bread pretty much every weekend.

If you saw this, then you know I was out of town last weekend and didn't have access to a kitchen.

But if you know me, you know that I have baked that bread anyway... and you probably know that after two months of plain sourdough bread, it was time to spice things up a bit - or "herb" things up, as it were.

Don't judge my language choices.

I love homemade bread. Yeah, depending on what kind you're making, it can take a long time, but it doesn't take much of YOUR time, so while the bread it working, YOU can be doing other things. It's so easy, it tastes SO much better, and you know there is no crazy artificial crap in there because, I don't know about you, but the only preservative in my pantry is salt.

I started this batch of sourdough on Monday night. It was plain ol' sourdough to start, but I had a plan for it.

Do you remember how this works?


Starter + water


+ flour & yeast

+ more water

+ more flour & salt... and then cover leave it the frack alone for a while - like a really long while. If its not a weekend morning, go to sleep.



The next morning is when the magic happened. Though dough has risen and is gargantuan.

We have a rosemary plant on our patio - one of the few I've managed to keep alive. I robbed it of all its beautiful green leaves this morning.
Then I went inside, removed them from the stems and gave them I light chop to help release all the yummy smelly rosemary oiliness.

My hands smelled delicious.



I added the rosemary as part of "turning out the dough". I had to knead it in a little so the rosemary was distributed evenly throughout the dough.



Kneading...



All balled up, nice and pretty...



Then let it chill out again. I went to work. You can do whatever you want.



When I got home and uncovered it, it had puffed back up again.


Split it into two portions and baked at 450 F for 50 minutes.



Look at those beautiful pieces of rosemary in there and the way it split. So pretty. So crunchy and delicious.





You'll probably want to wait a little longer than I did to slice these babies up, but I don't regret it.


Actually, maybe I regret not just digging in with my bare hands.

You can do whatever you want.


No comments:

Post a Comment