Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Kitchen Adventures; Spaghetti Squash Bolognese



I know! I know! It's the second Tuesday in a row I haven't been breaking down yoga poses for y'all. Did you notice? My days have been jam packed. I haven't found the time and the light to take the pictures for the posts. Hopefully I'll have a chance this weekend and we can get back to it!

This week we're back with round 2 of easy peasy no hassle dinner standards. Though, if we're being honest, I've been eating some crazy lazy dinners lately - lazier than this baby. We're talking scrambled eggs, a tortilla and salsa, or the most random one yet; one egg, one avocado, a bowl of strawberries & blackberries, and sauteed brussel sprouts.

The last few weekends have been rough for me. My (usually) healthy eating habits have been thrown out the window in favor of ice cream, margaritas, pita chips, and cake. It means that baking bread, muffins, or any kind of yummy dessert option is completely unappealing during the week, whereas a month ago, I would have been all for throwing together a batch of blueberry ricotta muffins and having them for breakfast all week. Right now greek yogurt and berries are my breakfast BFFs.


Spaghetti squash is one of my favorite go-to dinners.

The hardest part is cutting the squash in half length wise. Then you just scrape out the seeds, slather it with oil, turn it inside down and bake.



Go do something while it bakes (at 400 for 40 minutes)



Depending on how cool you want the squash to be when you're ready to eat, you can start your sauce while the squash is baking, or you can wait until after you pull it out of the oven.

Smash up some ground beef in a pan.

When its mostly cooked through - a little pink is OK - add a can of tomato sauce.


and a can of tomato paste



Then salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano to taste - mix it all up in there.


Then add balsamic. It really brings the flavors in the sauce to life. I always add to taste. Measuring just feels silly.

Stir it all up, turn the heat down to low and let it simmer while you take the squash out of the oven and turn it into noodles... kind of.

When it's a little brown around the edges, its done.

Then you take your fork and - moving across the squash width-wise, gently scrape out the squash. It will naturally come out in stringy noodle form.


Then scoop it up into a bowl, cover it with as much sauce as you like, and eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment