Thursday, July 11, 2013

Kitchen Adventures; Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies



The first time I made these cookies for my husband I didn't say I was making oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I just said I was making chocolate chip cookies... because to me that's what they were. These were the cookies my mom had been making since my sisters and I were small. This is how chocolate chip cookies were meant to be, right? So, when he asked me "is there oatmeal in these?", my answer was just shy of "well, duh".




Regardless of how they were meant to be, I think the addition of oatmeal makes these cookies even more amazing than traditional chocolate chip cookies - more interesting too. These cookies are so good, you could even leave out the chocolate chips if you wanted and they'd still be completely delicious.



They are just another reminder of how hubs and I can teach each other new things all the time - you know, because he didn't know chocolate chip cookies could be so amazing with oatmeal, and I for some reason thought making them without oatmeal was blasphemous. ;)




Chocolate Chips Cookies
Supposedly adapted from Mrs. Fields, but no one really knows; makes 12 decent size cookies

1 stick of unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of flour
1 1/4 cup of oats
1/2 tbsp baking soda
1/2 tbsp baking powder
6 oz. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375.
In a medium bowl, cream together butter, sugar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla.
Mix in flour, oats, baking powder and baking soda. Fold in chocolate chips. Add walnuts if you're feelin a little nutty.

These cookies are super buttery, so you don't need to grease your cookie sheet. Use a spoon or your hands to make roughly golf ball sized dough balls and space them evenly on your cookie sheet.

Then bake at 375 for about 15 minutes. Baking time will vary depending on the size of your cookies, so keep an eye on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment