Monday, November 25, 2013

Kitchen Adventures; Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Cookies... with Chili Powder

I feel like I've been away from my kitchen adventures for so long! I've been on a pretty big cookie making kick lately. The last three weekends in a row I've been testing cookie recipes.

I'm still pretty new to gluten free baking, and since we cut most carbs out of our diet I have been doing less and less baking in general. It's been tough, but a few weeks ago I was having dinner at my grandparents and my grandma, who was recently diagnosed with Celiac's, brought out a box of gluten free lemon wafer cookies for dessert.
My aunt - a hardcore whole food ally - cringed and jokingly gave her a hard time about buying "processed junk from a box".

To make my grandma feel better, I offered to make her gluten free cookies from scratch so she could enjoy dessert at Thanksgiving.



And since then, every weekend, I have tested out a new recipe for gluten free cookies.

It's been a lot of fun, and I've had some great results. I may even post a couple more of my successful recipes up here!



BUT WAIT!
You're thinking... this woman up an' put chili powder in her dang cookies. I have the voice of an old friend from college in my head. That's her voice.



So, let's talk a little about chili powder... or more specifically, let's talked about ancho chili powder... and how absolutely glorious it is.

I think if I could I would live in this jar so I could inhale and smell sweet, warm, spicy ancho chili powder with every breath.



Originally I was inspired by a recipe with ground chipotle powder, but when I got home and I looked at the chipotle and thought on it, I decided that chipotle is great, but ancho is better. Ancho has such a beautiful and interesting depth of flavor that I knew would pair beautifully with chocolate.



And I was right.

They are not spicy. The ancho just adds a very subtle and beautiful complexity to the chocolate flavor, which is already glorious because of the high fat dutch processed cocoa. Get in on that.



Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Cookies with Ancho Chili Powder
Recipe by yours truly, with the help of Lindsay Landis and Alton Brown.

1 1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup corn starch
2 tbsp tapioca flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup high fat dutch processed cocoa
1/2 tsp ground ancho chili powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 sticks of butter, melted and brought to room temp
1 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375.

Beat together butter and sugar. Once evenly combined, beat in eggs, one at a time.
Add one dry ingredient at a time, fully incorporating each ingredient into the mixture. Beat in vanilla. Switch to spoon or spatula, mix in chocolate chips
On a lightly greased cookie sheet, evenly space ping pong ball size spoon fulls of dough.

Bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes.

Allow to cool, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment