Monday, July 21, 2014

Kitchen Adventures; Blueberry Banana Nut Muffins



My mother in law left a lonely banana at our house after 4th of July weekend. It's a mystery. Hubs and I don't eat bananas once they're past a certain point of ripeness, so this one was destined for banana bread or muffins of some kind.

It continued to sit there for longer than I'd like to admit, until one weekend morning I got up and decided today was the day for muffins!

I found a decent looking recipe - using blueberries and coconut - and I got to work.

It wasn't until I'd mixed the oil and sugar together that I realized we didn't have any eggs.







Oops. Hubs had polished them off for his dinner the night before. I guess they'd be dense muffins. I like a little dense better sometimes anyway.






I also could have sworn we had at least 3 bags of shredded coconut... and then I remembered cleaning out the pantry not to long ago and deciding we were never going to use them and they'd go bad. Oops again.

Semi vegan, blueberry banana nut muffins it was. *fingers crossed*



To my (sort of) surprise, they came out not only good, but downright delicious. Even better on Day 2, actually.





The two of us (me and hubs, not me and baby, though I guess baby counts as having consumed some of the muffins, right?) ate half of the batch in a day. The rest I had for breakfast over the next several days.



Want to make them for yourself? Get on it.

(Almost Vegan) Blueberry Banana Nut Muffins

2 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cake spice (optional)
1 smashed overripe banana
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
6 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup blueberries
1 cup milk (sub almond or coconut milk to go completely vegan)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Grease a standard muffin tin, set aside. Preheat oven to 400.
Mix all your stuff in a bowl  - Oil and sugar first, alternate wet with dry until fully incorporated.
Scoop into your muffin tin - Fill them as high as you want. They won't rise like cupcakes.

Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.

Allow to cool a smidge. Remove from the tins and eat.


1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete