Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Kitchen Adventures; "What Kinda Veggies You Got" Stirfry


My kitchen and I have had a slightly less than awesome relationship lately. I still LOVE my kitchen, but I haven't been inspired lately. I haven't walked in and wanted to bake something exciting and new. I've been sticking to my staples - sourdough bread, spaghetti squash, or veggie stir-fries - or I've just been cleaning so much that by the time I'm ready to make something, I'm super hungry and don't want to wait. This is usually when grilled cheese sandwiches happen.

So, I've decided to share some of my easy peasy no-hassle, no-thinking dinner standards with you - starting with my ultimate dinner go-to...

The "whatever veggies are in the house" stir-fry.

You love it.

I quite literally, chop up a whole mess of vegetables, throw them in a pan - I envy you if you have a wok - add oil and spices, throw in an egg at the end, and done.
DUDE.

So easy and so healthy and SO YUMMY. Though, I'm a veggie junkie, so... of course this would be one of my favorites.

If you're like me, and you like a lot of root vegetables, make sure to throw them in the pan first. Then you can prep the softer veggies while they have a chance to cook a little.

Next are your medium-soft veggies. This is when you put in things like brussel sprouts and broccoli.



Followed by the softer stuff - any greens you might want in there - like spinach or cabbage.

This week, my stir-fry consisted of...

1/2 a large russet potato, chopped
1 medium beet, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
6 or 7 medium to large brussel sprouts, cut in quarters
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 large egg
2 tbsp grape seed oil (olive oil works great too, but grape seed has a higher smoke temp & is healthier)
garlic powder, salt, pepper, smoked paprika - to taste

Other things I like to add or sub in sometimes:

1 cup of broccoli
1 small zucchini
1 cup of spinach
1 cup butternut squash, cubed



Over medium/high heat, combine potato, beets, carrots (and any other hard veg - butternut squash would go in now too). Add grape seed oil and spices, and toss or stir to coat.
Cover with foil or pan lid while you chop the next veggies. Once chopped, add the brussel sprouts and toss/stir in evenly. Do the same thing with any broccoli, then zucchini. Zucchini and other small squash take less time to cook than a lot of other veggies, so I like to put them in at the end. Turn the heat down to medium.
Last veg to go in are your greens. Don't replace the cover after adding your greens. You'll want to keep an eye on them. When the cabbage starts to get translucent or the spinach gets to the perfect point of wilty-ness, add your egg and stir it all around so it breaks up into tiny scrambled pieces.
Another option is to remove the veggies from the heat, use the same pan (and a little extra oil) to fry the egg, and then throw it on top.

Then you can eat it as is, or top with some sriracha. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment