Wednesday, April 2, 2014

30x30; Make Popovers - Vanilla Spice Popovers



When I first put this item on my 30x30 list, I thought I would just open up one of my favorite baking books and be immediately inspired and enthralled by their popover recipe.

... but when I looked in all three of my favorite books, I could only find recipes for plain/classic popovers. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I really had a hankering for something more fun.



So, I took to Pinterest, and within seconds had options upon options for my popover adventure.


The route I took was "a little a' this, a little a' that" and what I came up with was downright amazing.

Who needs plain when you can add a tablespoon of Mexican vanilla extract and pearl sugar?





So, my popover pan holds six popovers. I ate 3 within about a half an hour.

They are glorious. You can eat them (almost) straight out of the oven. I know this because we gave them about a minute to cool before digging in - aka, just long enough for me to take some pictures.


and I was so crazy excited when I turned the oven light on and saw that they had risen so well.

These popovers are moist and buttery and fluffy and sweet. Next time I may even try to slow myself from eating all of them right away so I can enjoy them with some fruit or whipped cream.

Mmmm, breakfast yumminess.

Vanilla Spice Popovers
Adapted from various
Makes 6-8 popovers

1 c. milk
3 large eggs
1/4 c. white sugar
2 tbsp. Swedish pearl sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cake spice (a mix of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, allspice, ginger, and clove)
3 tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 375. Evenly divide butter into popover cups. Place in oven. Let them come to temperature while you make the batter.

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Then whisk in sugars, flour, and cake spice until smooth. Once oven is heated and popover pan is too, pull the pan and pour batter into the cups until each is no more than 2/3rds full.

Bake for 20 minutes at 375. Lower temp to 350, cook additional 15 minutes.

Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment