Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Kitchen Adventures; Whole Wheat Honey Goat Cheese Biscuits


I already told you I am slowly working my way through the Joy the Baker cookbook.

I had two Thanksgivings. I made these for Thanksgiving; Part 2, also known as "Thanksgiving-er"

They struck me initially because I freaking love goat cheese. I also love honey and biscuits. I pretty much had to make them. That was that.

Friday I was much less stressed out than I was on Thursday. I went for a jog in the morning. We lounged around and leisurely cleaned while we waited for hub's parents to arrive.

The biscuits were the last thing to get put in the oven. Leisurely means don't even bother getting everything out first. Just grab as you go.

Dry ingredients in a bowl.


Wet ingredients in a measuring cup. I "made" buttermilk with 2% and white vinegar.




All together now.


Smoosh with a fork until you can't tell where the flour starts and the dough begins.

Dollop them into your buttery cast iron pan, and bake!

They are light and fluffy and tangy and sweet and joyful, and you will love them.

Recipe from the Joy the Baker cookbook


2 cups whole wheat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tbsp. honey
1/2 stick of butter, cold, cut into chunks
4 tbsp. crumbled goat cheese
1 cup buttermilk

Put a 10" cast iron skillet into the oven and preheat to 400 F.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Using your hands, quickly incorporate the butter and goat cheese until the mixture looks like a coarse meal. Make a well in the center to add your wet ingredients.

In a small bowl whisk buttermilk and honey. Then pour into the well in your dry ingredients. Using a fork, combine wet and dry ingredients until all of the flour is absorbed.

Remove the skillet from the oven and put in 1 tbsp of butter. Coat the bottom of the pan. Then "drop" your dough in balls slightly larger than golf balls.

Put it back in the oven and bake for 14-16 minutes or until the tops are slightly browned.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment