Sunday, November 25, 2012

Kitchen Adventures; Orange Cranberry Bundt Cake


I come from a pretty large family. Not crazy large - I spoke to a friend who's family crams 40 people into a 2 bedroom apartment for Thanksgiving - but decent size large. We were missing some folks, but we ended up having 18 people. As long as I can remember, we've done Thanksgiving potluck style.
This year my mom was a little concerned that we wouldn't have enough options for dessert, so I went looking for something awesome and different to bring,
I thought about bringing that mixed berry bundt cake I made a few months back, but decided I should make something that ties in better with Thanksgiving flavors. So cranberry it was, and orange was a nice accent.

This came out super yummy. It calls for a tons of sugar, but just do it. Seriously. You won't be sorry.

Ingredients! I was feeling a little frazzled on Thursday, so I for sure needed to gather all of my ingredients beforehand. Oh, peace of mind.



Did you know that cranberries are white on the inside? You probably did. I'd never cooked with them before, so this was news to me.


I'm feeling a tad lazy at the moment, so I'm not going to show you what creamed butter and sugar look like. Just do it. And add one egg in at a time, okay?

Then zest a whole lot of orange into the creamyness and add everything except the berries.

Toss to coat the berries in flour and then fold them into your batter, which you have mixed already.


Scoop into bundt pan.



Bake.



Cover with sweet orange glaze and eat. Nomnomnomnomnom


And in case you want to make it yourself, here you go...

Recipe adapted from FamilyCircle

2 sticks of butter (room temp)
4 eggs
2 cups of sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 tsp. orange zest
1/2 c. sour cream
1 1/2 c. cranberries (fresh or thawed frozen), chopped
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 F, grease your bundt pan and set it aside.

In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar with a hand or stand mixer. Add one egg at a time, blending thoroughly between each egg.
Using a spoon or whisk, mix in the orange zest, sour cream and vanilla extract.
Slowly incorporate the flour and baking powder until evenly mixed.
In a separate bowl, toss the chopped cranberries with 1 tbsp. of flour until evenly coated.
Then fold the cranberries into the batter.

Scoop the batter into the bundt pan and bake at 350 F for 60 minutes.

Allow it to cool a little before turning the pan over and popping out your cake.
While it cools, make the icing

2 tbsp orange juice
1 c. powdered sugar

Mix in a small bowl. Done.

Once the cake is cool, drizzle the icing over the cake and serve! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment