Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Kitchen Adventures; Oatmeal Scotchies



Remember how I mentioned that my husband thought it was borderline blasphemy that I put oatmeal in my chocolate chip cookies? For him, oatmeal cookies weren't chocolate chip - they were butterscotch... "scotchies" as he called them. I'd never heard of these "scotchies", but I love butterscotch, so I was willing to give it a go.

He called his mom.


"Hey ma! How do you make scotchies? Oatmeal cookies with what?"
"Cinnamon and butterscotch chips"



Done. I had this in the bag. We went to the store and out right in front were the butterscotch chips. Predestined.



I am a really big fan of these cookies. The toasted pecans were a stroke of genius from my husband - they HAD to be toasted.
And I've always loved butterscotch, so really... there was no going wrong here. Amazingness.

AND this dough is SO easy to freeze. Just wrap roll it up in plastic wrap and, when you're ready to bake it, slice off one inch thick pieces and go nuts.



Oatmeal Scotchies
makes about 24 cookies

Preheat oven to 375

1 stick of unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of flour
1 1/4 cup of oats
1/2 tbsp baking soda
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
6 oz. butterscotch chips
1/2 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped (optional)

Cream together butter and sugars, beat in egg.
Incorporate the rest of your dry ingredients one at a time, ending with butterscotch chips and pecans.

Scoop out golfball size spoonfulls about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment