Friday, August 8, 2014

Kitchen Adventures; Farro Salad with Kale, Feta & Heirloom Tomatoes

I'm trying to like tomatoes.

Have I mentioned that before? I don't know. Let me get a little bit more specific though....

I am suuuuuuuper picky about tomatoes. For a long time I didn't like them at all. Then I started appreciating them in caprese salads and on bruschetta... or green, breaded and fried. Yum.

But see...

Tomatoes are really good for you. In addition to being super high in vitamin, they're loaded with lycopene, and research has shone lycopene to have cancer fighting properties.

A friend of mine - also not a tomato fan - inspired me. She ordered a wrap on a lunch date and didn't specify they leave the tomatoes out. They're healthy. So, she's trying to eat them despite not caring for them.


So, I decided to follow her lead. Leaving the tomatoes in things. Maybe I could do this.

For the most part, I'm doing really well, but I'm still really picky about when I like tomatoes.

Heirloom mostly, and they always have to be perfectly ripe - or maybe a touch underripe.

So, when I went to that Sunday prep class a few weeks ago, I was feeling pretty open minded. Then she got out the baby heirloom tomatoes and I was intrigued. Would I like these?

Yes! Yes I would! I would especially like them with farro, kale, lemon juice, and yummy yummy feta.

I went home that afternoon thinking this was my new favorite salad.

Because, you guys, it's so delicious.

... and it keeps in the fridge so well, you can eat it all week.

Just like the last salad, you can make any adjustments you want. Last time I made this salad, I didn't love the flavor of the fresh basil, so this time around, I left it out.

Farro salad with Kale, Feta, and Heirloom Tomatoes
Makes 2 large salads for 4 small ones

2 1/2 cups cooked farro - I used 10 minute farro from Trader Joes
2 cups roasted kale
1 handful finely chopped parsely
1/2 a block of feta cheese, cubed (for me, the more feta, the better)
2 cups baby heirloom tomatoes, halved (you can use full size heirlooms and just chop them smaller)
Lemon juice and zest to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Toss it all up in a bowl, divvy it up, serve or save.

No comments:

Post a Comment