Did you see my post on instagram over the weekend? If you did then you know that updating the fabric on these chairs has been on my to-do list for over 3 years. *cough cough* closer to 4...
...when my parents nabbed this table and chairs at Salvation Army and gave them to me as a Christmas gift in 2009. (TWO THOUSAND NINE!!!)
When they gave them to me, my mom said something about how they thought I could reupholster the seat cushions. I hadn't done anything like that since I was 14 or 15, but I thought it was a great idea - a way to make this used dining set a little more my own.
On Sunday, Hubs asked me about repairing a zipper on one of his pairs of pants. I told him I didn't know if we could replace that piece, but I could replace the zipper, so he decided we should go to the fabric store and check stuff out.
I brought up earlier that I'd thought about finally taking on the chairs that weekend, so when we got there, he encouraged a little trip to the giant bolts of fabric. We found a couple that we could both agree on, but this one ended up winning out.
I needed just over a yard. The hardest part was picking out exactly how I wanted to cut it so that the flowers would all be a little different on each cushion. I know nobody notices that stuff, but I do, so it was a challenge for me.
I think the shoes and dog toy add an element of realism. This is what lives under the kitchen table.
I'm really happy with how they came out. I'm even more pleased with my ability to do this all by myself, no instruction, no guide. I did have to bug my husband a little bit for help with the staple gun. I couldn't figure out how to load it. My bad.