Thursday, January 30, 2014

Kitchen Adventures; Zucchini Bread

While the hubs was out of town on a business trip not so long ago, I bought a whole mess of vegetables to devour in his absence.

I thought I was making decent headway with them, but I think somewhere in my brain I thought he would be gone for longer. I barely made a dent in those vegetables. Even now he's been back for over a week and we still have kale and zucchini and spinach from my market haul.

Something needed to be done with all the zucchinis. I started to worry that they would go bad (despite our freakishly cold fridge which keeps things good forever without freezing them most of the time)

So, Tuesday night I shredded up some of them zucchinis, poured myself a glass of wine, and set about turning them zooks into bread.

Because yum.



I've actually been meaning to make zucchini bread for ages. Oddly enough it's one of those foods that I've always loved, but never gotten around to making for myself.




Since I didn't put this guy in the oven until around 9pm, I opted against nabbing some as a late night snack and let it cool overnight.  It was a perfect breakfast treat the next day. Super moist, dense but not too dense.

I'm also so glad I decided to add chocolate chips. We're still working through that Costco bag. ;)

Zucchini Bread, adapted from EatingWell

2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 eggs
3/4 cup lowfat milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a loaf pan, set aside.

In a medium/small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, oil, & vanilla.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.

Add wet ingredients and shredded zucchini to dry ingredients all at once and stir gently until evenly combined. Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for an hour or until a skewer comes out cleanly.

Cool and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment