Thursday, January 16, 2014

Reading in 2014

A lot of my blogging friends are out in the universe posting about all the reading they did in 2013 or hope to do in 2014. I've decided to follow suit in a way.

For recapping purposes, here is what I read in 2013...

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris
Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

That's some quality reading right there, bub. I'm also (per my kindle) 25% of the way through Lost at Sea by Jon Ronson. I wish I could say that I read more, but 2013 was kind of a crazy year. I didn't have as much "layabout" time as I've had in previous years and I'm not even a little upset about that. I like that I've been busy/active.

Going into 2014, I've set the bar quite a ways higher...


My friend Alyssa and her husband are doing a 2014 reading challenge for the year - picking 10 of their favorite books for the other to read and trying to get as many read over the course of 2014. I thought I would love to do something like that, except my husband's idea of light reading is the Economist and his idea of reading reading is The Republic... you know, Plato? Umm... sorry guys.

So, instead I am using their challenge as inspiration. I made a list for myself.

In no particular order...

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
A Buddha Walks Into a Bar by Lodro Rinzler
The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald 
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Ain't I a Woman; Black Women and Feminism by Bell Hooks
Labor Day by Joyce Maynard

Now, do I really think I'll be able to get through 10 books in one year? No. That's real. I'll be lucky if I can get through 3, but I sure as heck am going to try.
I am still only a quarter of the way through Lost at Sea, but I should have more free time on evenings and weekends coming up, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Now... if I could just catch up on cleaning and finish my January Cure projects... then I'd really feel ready to sit down and read.
I should get a TON done this week though. I'll let you know on Monday when I post my update. 

No comments:

Post a Comment